Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
exclamationinformal Australian, New Zealand
(at sporting events) a cry intended to urge on a team or player; come on!
- ‘carn you mighty Lions!’
- ‘Given the Queenslanders are our closest neighbours - Carn the Lions!’
- ‘Carn Porto!’
- ‘Almost forty years later, Congupna players and supporters continue to yell out, "Carn the Road", or "Carn the Roaders", which has a nice ring to it.’
- ‘Carn the mighty (Pordadelaide) Magpies!’
- ‘Carn the Cats!’
- ‘And for the rest of the finals, carn the Saints.’
- ‘Footy is back, carn the mighty magpies!’
- ‘Carn the Wallabies!’
1960s contraction of the phrase come on!.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips